automobile accidentsSeriously injured victims of car accidents are sometimes confused as to who will pay their bills, lost wages and other expenses. They don’t know who they should talk to and when they might need a lawyer. In any case when a person receives serious injuries, it is a good idea to consult with an attorney early on for specific advice. The initial consultation is free and there is no fee unless the attorney successfully recovers compensation on behalf of the victim.

Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may wish to consult with an attorney before you speak to the police or your insurance company. Any information provided by you may be used to determine liability and for other purposes. When in doubt, consult with an attorney who can advise you. You do have a duty to cooperate with your own insurance company. You are under no obligation to cooperate with the at fault driver’s insurance company.

Massachusetts has a no-fault law that affects how bills are paid for injuries suffered in motor vehicle accidents. In most cases, the insurer of the car you are in will be responsible to pay the primary medical benefit under the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. After the primary benefit of $2,000.00 is met, your personal health insurance provides benefits; however, there is often additional PIP coverage to pay for co-payments, deductibles, and non-covered expenses. There are exceptions to these general provisions, and these can be discussed with an attorney after an accident to confirm who pays in your individual situation.